Tuesday, July 2, 2019

What to Can if You've Never Canned Before

canning for beginners

I hear all the time: "I've never canned before and don't know where to start, any advice?" Well, I've got ya covered today..... here's my advice to all the first-time canners out there. 


Canning is super easy and most folks simply get overwhelmed with the idea of canning, when in reality it's not that complicated. I can remember when I first started out, being scared of all the unknowns which honestly comes natural when learning any new thing. But, sometimes 'throwing caution to the wind and jumping in with both feet' is the best teacher. And that my friends is exactly where I started over a dozen years ago ~ wading threw the confusion of canning with trial and error. Thankfully, it really was pretty straight forward and there was not much error.

canning for beginners
Everyone loves to get in on the jam making fun in our house, even the youngest.💖

Many moons ago when I was anxious to start canning, I talked with a few 'old-timers' and decided to begin my canning adventures with jam. And much to my dismay it was insanely easy, fun, and pretty, PLUS it tasted sooo good! Well, it doesn't get any better than that! Once I got a few batches of jam under my belt, my confidence was boosted and I was ready to move on to canning other foods. YEAH!!

canning for beginners
A dear sweet old lady once advised me to invert my jars to insure a proper seal when canning jams and jellies ~ so that is what I do. Usually it's wise to heed the wisdom of our elders. :)

Since I had such success with my first canning experience, when folks ask me where to begin as a newbie canner, I highly recommend they begin with jam just like I was advised. The nitty gritty of the why narrows down to this: the only way to really mess up a batch of jam is if you don't add enough sugar (ALWAYS add the amount of sugar suggested for the recipe), or you burn it. But, I have made hundreds of jars of jam over the years and have never ruined a batch. Well, there have been a few batches that weren't as firm as I would prefer, but that was purely chef error and I did not use enough sugar. No worries though, when that happens the runny jam makes for a perfect syrup poured over pancakes, waffles, and French toast.

canning for beginners
This is our yearly batch of strawberry fig jam. I always follow the directions on the pectin packages.

Yes, jams and jellies are typically high in sugar and may not be on the top of the list of those ultra health conscious folks. But, the way I look at these jars of strawberry fig jam is that they are made with organic fruit and without any preservatives; and the ultimate bonus: they were extremely cheap to make. After all we don't go around eating jars of jam every single day, it's simply a delicious homemade condiment to use on fresh baked goodies like biscuits, bread, and my kids even enjoy fresh canned jam on waffles. 

Canning for beginners
I like to set my hot jars on a beach towel to cool over night and 
then I label and store them in my pantry.

So my advice still remains, if you're just jumping into the wonderful world of canning ~ start with canning fruit jams. Pick up a box of fruit pectin from your local Walmart (or grocer, maybe) and break open the box, they've got the directions on a little slip of paper. I always use their instructions and I've never had any problems when I've followed them exactly. Of course, you will need some basic gear, but none of it is too costly and once you get the hang of jam you'll be using all your new gear for a myriad of new canning adventures. 

Basic Water Bath Canning Gear 

(To Make Jam)
  • Large stock pot
  • Long wooden spoon
  • Silicone Spoonatula
  • Water bath canner (like this one)
  • Pint or half pint canning jars + lids
Trust me y'all, canning jam is fun and YOU can do this! Get your kids involved and they will fall in love with the dying art of preserving food too. Next thing you know they'll be spurring you on to find new foods to can. Or you'll just continue filling your pantry with delicious varieties of fresh canned jam, but don't forget homemade jam makes the perfect gift! Enjoy the journey friends ~ canning is a beautiful tradition of preserving food. Canning truly is a rewarding way to enjoy the fruit of the harvest throughout the year.

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a post too where you show what you buy in bulk and how you store it all. :) I've missed you and all your wisdom! I need to come visit you! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh you're such a sweetheart! I'd love to visit in person, it would be a blast. I''l work on getting some posts up on my bulk shopping. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

      Delete