Friday, July 12, 2019

Easy Southern Pound Cake

pound cake recipe

There's nothing better than strawberry shortcake to ring in summer ~ other than, maybe watermelon (for those of who may not know I'm slightly obsessed with watermelon, lol).  This 4th of July I was requested to make homemade pound cake to go along with strawberries & syrup also known as strawberry shortcake. So of course I was happy to oblige since food is seriously my love language. It fills me with great joy to prepare food my family likes and requests!

Now, when I was growing up strawberry shortcake looked a whole lot different than my kids are accustomed too. My people are slightly spoiled and I'm not even sure if they've ever had it the way I ate it as a child. The version of strawberry shortcake I enjoyed was simply those little round store-bought pound cakes with fresh strawberries and if we were lucky, some cool whip. Hey, I'm not complaining, I have fond memories of eating those tasty little dessert cakes and could throw down more than my fair share, but like I said this is NOT the rendition of strawberry shortcake my people know and love.
pound cake recipe

When I get the request for strawberry shortcake it's a little bit more of a labor of love and I'm super okay with that. It begins with a from-scratch pound cake and ends with a sugary cooked strawberry syrup. Since my family can quickly gobble my pound cakes up with or without strawberries, I typically make a double batch and freeze some to enjoy at a later time. Yes, I'm always planning for the next meal, that's the only way to stay ahead of the game with my large crew!

pound cake recipe

This 4th of July dessert baking was spear headed by my oldest daughter, Tabitha. On a side note folks ~ teach your kids to cook, it's absolutely the BEST to be in the kitchen with your kids as they get older. Yes, it may be a pain when they're younger, but it's a parenting effort that has huge positive returns in the future that you will NOT regret!

My favorite recipe for Pound Cake is actually a hand-me-down from my dear friend Denise. When you find a recipe that works you just got to roll with it no matter where it comes from. So I give a special thanks to her because boy has it become a family favorite!

pound cake recipe


Easy Southern Pound Cake

Ingredients

  • 2 sticks of salted butter
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions 

Pre-heat oven to 325* Cream butter and sugar, add sour cream and mix. Sift baking soda and flour, add to the cream mixture, alternating with the eggs. Beat one egg at a time. Add vanilla. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until done.

Notes

I must add a few side notes to how I make these delicious pound cakes. First, I've never actually baked it in the tube pan, I always use my mini pans (which I absolutely LOVE) and regular loaf pans.  When I doubled the recipe for the 4th of July I had enough batter for two regular loaf pans and eight mini loaf pans. I baked them for around an hour. As for the ingredients I use farm fresh eggs and homemade vanilla extract ~ neither of which is necessary. but I do think they add to the yummy flavor of these fabulous little pound cakes. And on a final note, I like to cook mine a little longer so the outside of the cakes are nice and crunchy. Obviously, this is a preference of how you like your pound cakes.

I was quite thankful I had made a double batch of these delicious cakes for our Independence Day celebration because they went FAST! If you're looking for a sweet treat that everyone is sure to love this summer, I highly recommend these pound cakes as they whip up super fast (even if they do take a while to bake) and they happen to be absolutely divine. 😋

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer 

P.S. I'll share my simple strawberry syrup recipe soon. After all it is the best topping for a fresh baked pound cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment