Thursday, July 4, 2019

4th of July Homeschool Fun

Happy Independence Day! 
I pray everyone has a blessed and safe day 
celebrating the gift of our freedoms.

Technically we are on a homeschool break through the month of July ~ reserving our time and energy to tend to our homestead and prep for the coming academic year. But, the birth of our country is certainly an educational opportunity not to be wasted. Most years we do a weeks worth of fun patriotic activities, but this year we're still adjusting from the move and one day was all we could manage. 

Despite all of my homeschooling stuff not being fully sorted since the move (the garden producing at full steam put a crimp in all that) I managed to put together a few 4th of July activities to do with my children. Of course getting back into the swing of alternative learning was not without it's severe challenges. But, we pushed through and Lord willing my kids will remember the highlights and not the minor details which included A LOT of parenting opportunities. 

Our 4th of July homeschool fun included: 
  1. Patriotic storybooks (we have a bunch more, but these were the ones I could readily find)
  2. Fire works marble paintings
  3. Magic milk fire works STEM activity
  4. Baked and iced homemade patriotic sugar cookies
These are just a few of my patriotic books ~ but they're some good ones worth reading.

 We made some patriotic paintings by pouring a drop of red and blue paint on card stock and then rolling marbles through it. We put the paper and marbles inside a pan to keep the mess down to a minimum. lol.

I had to drag this one to the table to do the marble paintings and yet I think he was the one who enjoyed it the most!

Our patriotic STEM project was pretty neat. We took a large baking dish, cookie cutters, milk, dish soap, and red/blue food coloring (not pictured) and turned it all into some fireworks. 

We put the milk in first. Just enough to coat the bottom, then add the cookie cutters. Next put one drop of each color of food coloring inside the cookie cutters. Then pour a drop of dish soap into the cookie cutters and watch the fireworks.

And finally we made some sugar cookies, because no holiday can pass without making cut-out sugar cookies in this house! 

I let each of the children take turns cutting out cookies, even the littlest of the bunch.

Most of the time when we do these fun learning days, they're riddled with not-so-fun moments AND I wonder why I even try. But, I keep on doing them because maybe one day we'll get it right and I'd rather do it than not do it at all. And if I were being 100% honest the majority of the time the struggles we have come from my own issues which need to be addressed. Thankfully, my kids are forgiving as well as my Heavenly Father. I guess every day is an opportunity to grow in grace and there's nothing like doing projects with your kids to experience a swim in the Almighty refining pot.  

Regardless of all the drama, every day is a gift from God and I'm truly a blessed women. I'd take all the chaos a thousand times over, just to get to be my kiddos mama.

I hope all of y'all have a wonderfully blessed 4th of July!

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment