Friday, July 19, 2019

Easy Baked Oatmeal

baked oatmeal recipe

Feeding my family the most nutrient dense, affordable, and tastiest foods available is my goal, but it's not always an easy goal to achieve. It's all about balance as with all things in life. In a perfect world my family would only eat organic, whole foods minus any refined flours, sugars, and processed food; but that isn't practical for our large crew and financial situation. So, I try to do the next best thing ~ cooking from scratch with as many wholesome ingredients as possible including the bare minimum of the 'bad stuff'.  One of my go-to breakfast recipes is baked oatmeal in a variety of different flavors. 

For years I made my little ones eat stove-top oatmeal, but they hated it and I just got tired of the complaints  (I choose my battles, folks). I think it's more of a texture thing than a taste issue, because I've tried every version out there and they still don't like it! So, for whatever reason they have never liked it, which is why I've created multiple baked oatmeal recipes, because they will happily eat the alternate version. Go figure!

While I have several baked oatmeal recipes, this one is my favorite. Mostly because the ingredients are readily available and it goes together super quick. Yes, it does have brown sugar in it, but at least there's no other junk mixed in with it. It's hearty and the kids don't complain when I prepare this oatmeal variation. The leftovers even serve up well reheated ~ what's not to love.

baked oatmeal recipe

Easy Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 3/4 cup milk + 2 tbsp milk
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
  • 5 cups old fashion oats
Directions

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan (I prefer a glass baking dish). Bake 30 minutes @ 350*.

baked oatmeal recipe

And that's about it, nothing overly complicated to get a decent, affordable meal on the table to help kickstart you and your kiddos day.

baked oatmeal recipe

Any leftovers we put int a container in the fridge and reheat for lunch leftovers.

I am not a big fan of condoning whining and complaining over food, but I do prefer to keep my wild crew as happy as possible when it comes to what they eat. Our diet it predominately healthy and my children rarely complain, which is why I am happy to oblige with a little bit of flexibility to find foods and recipes that everyone can enjoy and appreciate. And of course when the recipes coincide with our budget that's an awesome bonus! Affordable and edible, that's an extra little blessing for sure!

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baked oatmeal is a great breakfast! I cannot stomach it all gloppy in a bowl, but when it's baked up like this, I'll dig right in.

    When you do the math, that is less than 1 tbs of brown sugar per cooked cup of oatmeal. That is extremely reasonable and nothing to worry over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it's actually 1 tbs = 1/2 tsp of brown sugar per cooked cup of oatmeal. I think the point here (aside from a great homeschool math problem!) is that there should be no concern over the amount of sugar in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete