Sunday, March 22, 2020

St. Patrick's Day Fun Schooling


I must admit this is the first year we have had a St. Patricks Day celebration, but I decided it was high time we rectified my negligence with some special fun schooling. I'm always up for any opportunity to celebrate life and learn with my family. It seemed all the more important to celebrate St. Patricks Day this year, with all the upheaval that is currently going on with the Corona Virus and quarantines. I am doing my upmost best to keep my family's life as normal as possible. After all it isn't their fault that this is happening during their little lifetime.

Thankfully there are so many free and cheap resources out there to help celebrate nearly every occasion. All it takes is a little time and intentionally research. Planning fun activities with your children does NOT have to be complicated or costly. Pinterest and the Dollar Store are my go-to places when I'm trying to put together a family celebration. But, don't freak out and think if you can't go over the top that your family will Not enjoy your special surprise ~ they don't care about the details, they only care that YOU tried and made THEM a priority.


When every one went to bed, the night before St. Patrick's Day, I set the table with festive tableware and decorated with supplies found at the Dollar Store and dollar spot at Target.


We made dyed green, chocolate chip muffins for breakfast. 


I printed off some coloring sheets found at Teachers Pay Teachers as well as an interactive notebook so we could study more about St. Patrick and how the holiday is celebrated. We also watched some Irish dancing on YouTube. 


Our sensory box included little green pots, foam clovers, plastic gold coins, pinchers, and dyed green white beans. I also found two St. Patrick Day necklaces that I added after this picture was taken.


The littles made a rainbow craft. I cut out a cloud that they colored and then they glued rainbow strips of construction paper to the cloud.


We did a fun science experiment with Skittles. 


We placed Skittle candies on a plate in a repeating pattern and then poured hot water in the center. Just enough water until it touched the Skittles. The hot water melted the color of the candies creating a rainbow of water.


We were super stoked about this activity, because so many of our projects do not turn out; but this one turned out perfect!


Last we made Rainbow Snack Bars 


My family loved the snack as it was a fun variation of Rice Krispie Treats. 

RAINBOW SNACK BARS

3 Tbsp butter of margarine
10 oz package of miniature marshmallows 
6 cups rainbow round cereal

Spray 9x13 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Pour cereal into a large bowl. In a medium sized pot melt the marshmallows and butter, stir continuously. Pour melted marshmallow mixture into cereal and stir. Coat hands with nonstick spray (if necessary) to mix thoroughly and pour into pan. Lightly smash into pan, spreading evenly. Let completely cool and then cut into bars.

As you can see I didn't spend a whole lot of money and we didn't go overboard celebrating St. Patrick's Day. We enjoyed some quality family time and made some amazing memories. As I have mentioned many times before, yes it took a little bit of my time to put this together, but in reality it didn't take more than an hour, and it was well worth it to me. Even if there wasn't things going on outside of our control, requiring us to spend more time at home, making every day count and living it to our fullest should always be a top priority. Never waste a single moment God gives us to live ~ for our lives are a precious gift from the Lord.

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment