Tuesday, January 21, 2020

5 Must Have Items for a Hospital Birth


I have had the privilege of giving birth ten times in the past 20 years. All of my babies have been born in the hospital due to various reasons which I'll discuss another day. Throughout those deliveries I have learned exactly what I can live without and what I must have for my delivery and postpartum time in the hospital. Some of the items may surprise you, but others are probably a staple for every hospital birthing mama.

5 Must Have Items for a Hospital Birth
  1. Chapsticks & Mints: I try to labor as long as possible at home, but eventually we head on to the hospital where I finish laboring and deliver my baby. During this time of laboring, it has been my experience that the doctor/nurses prefer you not to eat or drink anything while in labor. (I don't exactly agree with this *rule*, but I don't typically want to eat when in labor, anyways). But, I do find that a mint really helps with the cotton mouth I get during labor. And then along with the cotton mouth I always suffer with terribly chapped lips and having chapstick on hand is a major blessing.
  2. Non-perishable Food: Okay I realize most hospitals do have food, but they only send it out three times a day and it's usually not very appealing much less nutritional (at least this has been my experience at the two hospitals I've used to deliver my babies). There is nothing like the ravenous hunger of a woman who just gave birth!! I literally could eat anything and everything after I give birth. Which is why I bring a bag of my own groceries to the hospital. Foods I pack include nuts, dried fruit, protein bars, dark chocolate, veggie chips, rice cakes, etc. 
  3. Wipes for Mom and Baby: This one may seem like an unusual item to pack, but trust me you'll thank me later! If you have a vaginal delivery, the sandpaper toilet paper that comes standard at most hospital is the last thing you want to use on your most delicate spot after you give birth. I always bring a package of flushable wipes. Also, for some reason our hospital only provides heavy duty workhorse towels as wipes for the baby. This means that when the baby poops the horrible black tar poop, you have to hobble over to the sink, wet it, hobble back to the bassinet and try to get the yucky mess off your babies bum. Yeah, not ideal. Just bring a package of natural wipes to the hospital and save your baby a massive diaper rash at only a few hours old. 
  4. Nursing Pillow: Obviously this only goes for nursing mamas, but I find myself so sore after I give birth, and having my trusty nursing pillow helps make breastfeeding so much easier. 
  5. Swaddle Blankets: The hospital does provide swaddle blankets, but they're very tiny, not soft, and difficult to wrap around a baby, especially when you're exhausted, sore, and just generally not capable of using all your faculties. Having a nice sized quality swaddle blanket (or a few in case of blowouts & occasions of vomit) makes those early swaddling days so much more practical. 

I understand that every mama has their own must have items for a hospital, but these are the few items that make my childbirth and recovery experience much more comfortable. I do have other things I like to bring, but for the sake of this post, I wanted to keep it down to my top five favorites. I know how important it is to create a positive hospital childbirth experience, which is why I always plan ahead, making a point to pack and bring my personal hospital necessities. I can assure you should we be blessed with another pregnancy and impending birth, these are the first items to go into my hospital bag. 

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. And heartiest congratulations on the birth of your daughter! It's an everyday miracle. Glad that you and your daughter came through healthy and well!

    ReplyDelete