Thursday, January 9, 2020

DIY Wood Slice Photo Ornaments


Every year for Christmas we give our children an ornament. Some years the ornaments are store-bought and other years they are homemade. This year I made each of the children a homemade ornament using wood slices and a picture of each of them.

The supplies to make the ornaments include: these wood slice ornaments, a small photo of each of my children, a circle cut-out of Christmas paper to cover the wood ornaments, narrow red ribbon, and Modge Podge. 

To make the ornaments:

  1. Cut out the photos to your desired size.
  2. Cut out Christmas paper to desired size to cover most or all of the wooden ornament.
  3. Cover the wood slice with Modge Podge using a sponge paint brush and place the Christmas paper over the wood slice, then do another coat of Modge Podge over the paper.
  4. Place the photo on top of the Christmas Paper and paint another layer of Modge Podge.
  5. Let dry.
  6. Tie red ribbon around top of wood slice (I hot glued mine in place to prevent it from coming off the ornament).
  7. Tie twine through the top of the wood slice ornament and trim excess to preferred length.
  8. I also took a fine tip white paint marker and wrote 2019 underneath each photo.


Since Abigail was born so close to Christmas, I didn't have a chance to get a picture of her to make her a photo ornament. I decided to try to get a handprint of her sweet little hand on the wooden ornament, but as you can see it didn't turn out quite like it should have. I almost threw it away, but decided against it. It will be a precious memory and you can sort of make out her tiny hand.

These ornaments were super easy to make and took very few supplies. If you've read any of my previous posts, I'm sure you have gotten the vibe, that homemade items are extra special to me. I love to make and give them; even if they do take a little bit of extra time than just going to the store and buying them. I must admit as the years progress it's getting harder and harder to come up with new and creative ideas for making the kiddos homemade Christmas Ornaments. Which is why I typically start at the beginning of the year, planning for whether it will be a homemade or store-bought Christmas ornament year.

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment