Thursday, October 3, 2019

Camping at Coleman Lake

Coleman Lake
As many of y'all have probably caught on, I love traditions! I also enjoy adding new traditions to our already giant arsenal of regular scheduled family memory making opportunities. I love routine and order. I like knowing what's expected of me and how to plan and prepare for what's coming ahead ~ I think that's why I love traditions so much. 

Doing spur of the moment events can be really difficult with a large family. With traditions, I can plan months in advance (especially in regards to the financial aspects). Let's face it, some events just cost more because there are more people involved. It's not exactly easy making sure we have everything necessary for certain adventures, simply because the stores (even Amazon) don't always stock enough of any particular item for 11 people. 

We've tried various different forms of camping over the years. We've tried 'camping' in a borrowed motor home (back when we only had five little ones). Um, yeah that's a story for another day. We've tried camping in a pop-up camper (we made it through two nightmare trips and that baby was sold!). And we did the old fashion tent camping once, many moons ago. None of these camping trips were exactly 'fun'. They were filled with non-stop drama and complications. So we hung up our camping gear and quit trying.

Fast forward about 5 years, and I really wanted to try again to share my love of camping with my children. I grew up tent camping and have the absolute best memories of our family camping adventures. I get that camping isn't everyone's forte, but it is apart of me and something I enjoy doing. So, I began collecting upgraded camping gear for our large crew, with the intentions that we'd try tent camping again.

This is about the time I implemented our back to school backyard campout. I figured camping in our backyard was about as close as I was going to get to real camping (for the time being) and for those who didn't want to participate, they could sleep inside the house. Also this allowed me to slowly acquire new camping equipment which in turn would make future camping trips more enjoyable.

Camping in the summer in the south just isn't ideal so we have to wait until the fall and spring months. Last year I decided we were ready to embark on our first 'away from home' campout about an hour away at Coleman Lake nestled in the Talladega National Forest. Sadly, this camping trip was cut short due to an unexpected cold front that swept through the area. We did not have appropriate cold weather camping gear and with two little ones under the age of two I was worried they would freeze to death. At around midnight we broke camp and headed home to the comforts of our warm house. {{sigh}}

Now, one year later, I planned again for our Coleman Lake camping trip. This year I scheduled our trip one month earlier. Unfortunately, this year we are experiencing record breaking HIGH temperatures and instead of it being freezing cold it was extremely hot. {{ugh}} I just can't seem to win when it comes to planning camping trips! But, I am determined to keep trying and sharing my love of camping with my children. While the big kids are not a fan (YET), my youngest four love camping!! I'm going to take that as a mom win!!


The little ones love helping put up the tent. And I must say again that this CORE tent is amazing!! Super easy to set up and plenty big enough for our family. Worth every penny.


As is custom for our family adventures, drama is sure to ensue. We had a major injury within an hour of setting up camp. {{groan}} Our three year old took a terrible tumble down a hill and smacked his head on the hard concrete road. We thought we were going to have to leave to take him to get stitches, thankfully we didn't, but he was certainly down for the count for the rest of the evening. 


The 'family room' for our overnight camping escapade. 


Camping ~ campfire ~ weenie roast. Yep I'm predictable like that.


And of course s'mores!


Poor little guy. I think the sweet treat helped to pick his little spirits up even if it didn't help with the massive headache I'm sure he had. 


Since I'm not a pro at cooking over the fire, I invested in this single burner butane stove. Let me just tell y'all this little stove is a thousand times better than a propane camp stove! Unfortunately, I did forget our 'camp kitchen' bucket so we had to make do with cooking and cleanup. Thankfully my family is awesome at accepting challenges and rolling with the 'punches', lol.


Breakfast was nothing fancy. A yogurt squeeze and an egg scramble which included bacon bits, eggs, southern hash browns, and cheese. No one complained and everyone seemed to get full.


After breakfast we broke camp and headed out on a hike around the lake.


Nothing like hiking in the woods!


There was no shortage of opportunities to explore and enjoy nature.


Even though everyone in our family isn't exactly in love with the idea of being in the great outdoors, most of them do have a deep appreciation for God's creation.


I love being able to carry my babies hiking through nature. I will miss these days when they are gone. They will truly always be treasured memories that I hold close to my heart.

While I still haven't convinced the majority of my family to have the same passion for camping as I do, everyone was a good sport and tried their best. I wish we could go on multiple camping trips a year, but I don't want to push my limits. There's no sense in dragging my people to do more things they don't want to do than is absolutely necessary. 

I took plenty of notes while we were camping for items to purchase that will hopefully make next years camping trip even better. Yes folks, I am relentless, I'm not going to give up just yet on imparting my love of camping onto my kids. Even with all the challenges we faced, the memories we made were priceless. Lord willing my children will remember the highlights and one day realize how wonderful it is to experience the great outdoors through camping.

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment