Sunday, October 13, 2019

Simple Fall Snack Mix


There's nothing like Fall and all the fun food that goes along with the season. It's no secret that Summer is my favorite season (mostly because I'm extremely cold-natured and despise cold weather), but Fall runs a close second. The temperature begin to become tolerable (for those of us who reside  in the Deep South), the trees put on a display of beauty no words could adequately describe, and the fun seasonal food is simply divine!

Once the calendar switches to September, our family is in hyper-memory making mode. Our days, especially the weekends, are filled with wonderful seasonal traditions. One of those many traditions includes visiting a real pumpkin patch/working farm in Harpersville, Al. We've been visiting Old Baker Farm for the past 14 years, without fail. We've had the privilege of watching it grow into a spectacular family event destination. 

And since I'm one of those ultra corny mama's I always have to bring along themed food for our traditional pumpkin patch picnic. Now y'all this is nothing fancy or time consuming, just a simple snack mix that adds a little flair to our dining experience while at the pumpkin patch.

One of our family's must-have food items for our pumpkin patch picnic is a Simple Fall Snack Mix. There are tons of snack mix recipes plastered all over the Internet; and I find that every family has their own special twist. But for me personally, I do not have time, energy, or the funds to make overly complicated recipes; even for our special pumpkin patch snack mix. Which is why I made our family's Fall Snack Mix recipe budget friendly and quick to make.



Simple Fall Snack Mix
Ingredients  
  • Pretzels
  • Bugles chips
  • Peanuts
  • Candy corn or pumpkin candies 
  • Fall M&M candies
Directions

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or sealed baggies.


I typically let the kiddos get their hands into making this super simple recipe. It's fun to have my children help in the kitchen and it gives them an opportunity to serve their family. Since we were taking this fall snack mix to the pumpkin patch, I had the children place half cup portions into fall bags. This year I didn't use the pumpkin candies because they're kind of large and I wanted Lydia (our not quite 2yr old) to be able to eat her snack mix on her own. 


Most years I buy the Fall colors plain M&M chocolate candies, but this year I couldn't find any and I ended up buying a bag of pumpkin spice flavored M&M's. They were very unusual to say the least. Not bad or good, just different, lol. I would say half of my people liked the pumpkins spice flavored M&M's while the other half didn't care for them at all. And to that I simple say, "You can't please them all, all the time!"

While it isn't a must for us to have themed food to bring to the pumpkin patch, it is fun and we all enjoy the break from the 'norm'. We picnic a lot, it's just par for the course with a large family. It saves us money and allows us to better allocate our funds for future 'experiences' verses food. I try to add variety to our picnic food, and with it being fall and this particular outing being to a pumpkin patch; it only seemed fitting to make a Fall Harvest Snack Mix. 

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment