Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Applesauce in the Making



Canning applesauce is some serious work, but for some reason the kids love doing it and homemade canned applesauce is just soooo yummy! I shared a couple weeks ago that we went and picked some apples with the hopes of putting up some jars of applesauce. We didn't get as many apples as we had hoped, but since our stock of home canned applesauce is dwindling, I thought it would be best to go ahead and process the few apples we did pick.

Buying apple sauce is fairly cheap, especially at Aldi. And they happen to have a sugar free version which is fairly tasty. Regardless of these fast, I think one of my favorite items to can is applesauce. Yes, it makes a gigantic mess, and takes forever to process, but I don't think there's anything more nostalgic than canning applesauce; other than maybe making jelly and jam.


A few years ago we invested in a Squeezo food mill and it WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!! It makes quick work of turning apples into applesauce. I'm a firm believer in acquiring the necessary tools which make canning and other homesteading activities as easy as possible. To me the Squeezo is a double bonus because it's a nonelectric device!


All the children love to take turns working the mill. This year Joshua and Matthew were totally into the applesauce making. Tabitha was kind enough to quarter all the apples so we could cook them down to put through the Squeezo. I try not to force the children to help, but encourage them to be involved as they choose. After all our kitchen is only so big. This year there were several children in and out, helping as they saw fit.


Of course the kiddos didn't fly solo making applesauce just yet. Since I didn't get to the applesauce making until late in the day, Daddy was able to head up the Squeezo operation.  


Once it got to cooking the applesauce after being run through the mill, it was just me in the kitchen. There really isn't a need for more than one person at this point unless of course you have several ladles and funnels. I don't mind, I enjoy the making the applesauce and was grateful for all those who did help make the applesauce this year.


The applesauce turned out nice and thick, which is just the way we prefer it. Sorry y'all I'm not a fan of runny applesauce. I find that the thicker applesauce last longer and stretches for more meals. When you're feeding as many folks as we are that is a major plus!

I honestly didn't think we'd get more than four jars, but we managed to get 10!! I was over the moon about this especially since we have so few jars left over from last year. Sadly, one jar did bust during the waterbath process. UGH!! I really hate it when that happens!! In reality I know in my heart God knew what we needed and how hard we worked to get those ten jars. Sometimes life just happens and we have to accept it. Thankfully we will not starve, and our food supply does not depend upon these few jars of applesauce ~ they're just nice to have. 


It looks like these few jars of applesauce will wrap up our canning season for the year. It was a whirlwind of nonstop intense labor: picking, canning, cooking, and preserving! But, as I look at our shelves (and freezers) filled with fresh homegrown produce, I'm overwhelmed at God's provisions and the strength He gave us to get it all done. As we wrap up the main gardening season with pulling up sunburned and withered plants I look forward to a slower season of homesteading and the opportunity to enjoy the fruit of all our hard work.

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment