Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Texas Caviar


Okay y'all my life is always wild and crazy busy but some times it just gets super busy! I'm currently in one of those insanely busy seasons. With that said, publishing posts is getting harder and harder. I really want to stay committed to blogging because I enjoy it and have a lot to say, lol.  I'm trying to reevaluate how and what I'm posting to make it a tad bit easier to make my post happen as often as possible. Lord willing I can figure it all out and find the balance.

It's been a while since I've shared a recipe, but we fixed such an amazing little fresh salsa of sorts the other night that I had to share! It started out as what some folks call Texas Caviar, but of course I added and subtracted ingredients to make it my own recipe. I've decided to keep the name of the recipe Texas Caviar since that's what most folks would best associate the ingredients with, but to me it's more like a fresh Pico de Gallo. But hey, call it what you want! When it's this good just fix me a loaded bowl full so I can put it in my tummy ASAP!

Texas Caviar

Ingredients
  • 1, 15 oz can black beans drained
  • 1, 15 oz can black-eyed peas, drained
  • 1 can sweet corn drained
  • 1 avocado pitted and diced
  • 3 medium firm tomatoes chopped
  • 1 large bell pepper chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bunch cilantro chopped
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice 
Directions

Mix all ingredients together and chill. Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite food for 'dipping'.


With football season upon us, this is the perfect 'healthy' item to bring to all those football shindigs and tailgating parties! Yes, it did take a little bit of extra time to prep, but trust me y'all it was well worth the effort! Get a few kiddos involved with the chopping and it will go by super fast. It was a huge hit with my family. Even with some of my picky eaters who are not fans of 'leaves in their food', lol. Just chop the cilantro up fine enough and they'll never know!! I can assure y'all this recipe for Texas Caviar is super simple to make. Every one in our family officially said they wanted it added to our favorite food rotation!

With Love & Hope,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment